Sacred Heart Dunn, NC
What we do: We assist at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass with offering our voices to God.
- Extraordinary Form: 8:30 am on Sunday’s: This is a sung Latin Mass, a Missa Cantata. We have a full choir and we sing propers, ordinaries, motets and Gregorian Chant in Latin according to the 1962 Missal.
- Practice is at 12 noon on Saturdays.
- Warm up at 7:30 am each Sunday morning.
- Saturday Vigil 4:30 pm, Ordinary Form: Cantor and singers help lead the congregation in song. Hymns are sung in English and Latin along with ordinaries associated with specific Liturgical seasons.
- Practice and warm-up 3:00 pm on Saturday prior to Holy Mass
- Sunday Mass 11:00 am, Ordinary Form, Multilingual, English, Spanish and Latin: Cantor and singers help lead the congregation in song. Hymns and ordinaries are sung in English, Spanish and Latin.
History of this Week’s Hymns:
This will be populated weekly.
Dr. Mary Ann Chiodo
Sacred Music Schola Cantorum Musical Director: Mary Ann Chiodo, email@example.com
The Music Ministry at Sacred Heart Catholic will meet the first Saturday of each month at 10:30 am in the Parish Hall. For more information, call Dr. Mary Ann Chiodo at 910-890-6055 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why are you singing Latin and what is Sacred music ?
Sacred Music is used for the sacred liturgy, it is Holy, Sound and Universal.
Holy; and music that is set aside only for glorifying God and sanctifying the faithful during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
Soundness of form; music synthesizes diverse ritual elements into unity. It draws together a succession of actions into a coherent whole.
Universal; music is Supra-national, equally accessible to diverse cultures. Latin is the quintessential unifier of the Latin Church.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to know how to sing Gregorian chant and speak Latin to join the choir?
No, but you do have to have willingness to learn. We utilize many resources to help choir members learn how to both read and sing Gregorian chant. During each practice there is time allotted for instruction in chant. There are also several on-line resources that are helpful with instruction in chant and help with practicing the chant that we utilize each week. If you are willing to learn and experience the wonderful treasure of Chant it is a challenge but is also a deep treasure.